As an active design/builder and green building expert, Adam Cohen is a leading North American Passivhaus practitioner whose innovative work on commercial high performance building has made his expertise sought-after for projects across North America. He is a principal partner in Structures Design/Build, LLC (www.structuresdb.com), Passiv Science, LLC (www.passivscience.com) and Quantum Architects, LLC, (www.quantum-architects.com).
His design build firm, Structure Design/Build, a company co-founded by Cohen in 1999 that offers integrated design and delivery of high performance buildings in Southwestern Virginia has amassed a notable list of projects:
• 1st North American Passivhaus certified public school
• 1st North American Passivhaus university student center
• 1st in the world Passivhaus dental clinic
• 1st and 2nd North American Passivhaus religious assembly building
• 1st in the world Passivhaus with a commercial kitchen
• Largest North American Passivhaus project to date – a college dormitory
His current projects include:
• Schematic design for the 1st North American Passivhaus certified public pool
• 1st in the world Passivhaus animal hospital
• Largest North American multifamily Passivhaus project
• 1st in the world Passivhaus performance hall
Mr. Cohen is recognized as a national leader in the Passivhaus movement and has presented technical papers at both national and international Passivhaus conferences. His leadership in commercial Passivhaus design has made him a sought after speaker, consultant and teacher of advanced courses in Passivhaus ultra-low energy design.