What is a "salon"?
In short, it's a discussion. But, more specifically, the term was used in the 17th and 18th centuries to describe an assembly of educated guests, such as leaders in society and politics, and was typically held in a home's salon, or reception room, hence the term. So why bring such an antiquated term back to life? Because these conversations are exactly that — a hub of knowledge-keepers and knowledge-seekers holding an important, diverse and respectful conversation on the topic of the hour.
Read on to learn about the salons we have held and those coming up.
- Feb. 25, 2022 - High Tech, Next Gen: The Future of Sustainable Agriculture
- Jan. 28, 2022 - No Water, No Food: How Can Agriculture Respond to the Climate Crisis?
- Nov. 12, 2021 - Champions of Climate Justice: Where We Go From Here
- Nov. 5, 2021 - How Can Indigenous Cultures Inform Sustainable Ag?
- Oct. 15, 2021 - Investigative Partners: How Journalists & Scientists Can Team Up
- Oct. 6, 2021 - Communicating the Harmonies of Art and Science
- Sept. 10, 2021 - How Can We End Global Hunger Sustainably?
- Feb. 13, 2020 - The Climate is Changing: Is TV News Adapting?
- Nov. 23, 2019 - A Conversation with Neera Tanden: Climate, Politics & The Presidency
- Feb. 13, 2019 - Tackling the Story of Food Waste and Loss
- Nov. 9, 2018 - The Future of Electric Transit
- Feb. 23, 2018 - Finding Balance: The Story of Food and Water on a Changing Planet
- Jan. 23, 2018 - Sustaining Alaska: Balancing Climate and Energy in America's Last Frontier
- Oct. 27, 2017 - 'The Uninhabitable Earth' with author David Wallace-Wells
- Sept. 28, 2017 - A Solvable Problem: How We Reduce Global Hunger
- March 9, 2017 - Uncovering the Story of Our Hidden Water Footprint
- Nov. 30, 2016 - Telling the Food Waste Story
- Oct. 19, 2016 - The Science of Science Communication
- April 4, 2016 - Urban Agriculture: New Partnerships, New Voices
- Jan. 19, 2016 - Debrief on the Paris Climate Talks: Implications for Cities and Urban Growth
- Feb. 12, 2015 - Whose Food Is It Anyway? Digesting the Food Story
- Feb. 3, 2015 - Smart Technology for Climate-Smart Agriculture
- Dec. 3, 2014 - Sustainable Innovations in Food
- Nov. 5, 2014 - Women and Girls: Nourishing the Planet in the Face of Climate Change
- Sept. 26, 2014 - Weather Volatility and Agricultural Production
- Sept. 18, 2013 - Changing Tastes, Changing Farms
- Fall 2012 - Fracking
- Spring 2011 - Adaptation
- Summer 2010 - Energy Policy