Participants in the Climate-Smart Agriculture Salon hosted by Vermont's Middlebury College and Planet Forward on Feb. 4, 2015. / Planet Forward
What is a "salon"?
In short, it's a discussion. But, more specifically, the term was used in the 17th and 18th centuries to describe an assembly of educated guests, such as leaders in society and politics, and was typically held in a home's salon, or reception room, hence the term. So why bring such an antiquated term back to life? Because these conversations are exactly that — a hub of knowledge-keepers and knowledge-seekers holding an important, diverse and respectful conversation on the topic of the hour.
Read on to learn about the salons we have held and those coming up.
- March 9, 2017 - Uncovering the Story of Our Hidden Water Footprint
- Nov. 30, 2016 - Telling the Food Waste Story
- Oct. 19, 2016 - The Science of Science Communication
- April 4, 2016 - Urban Agriculture: New Partnerships, New Voices
- Jan. 19, 2016 - Debrief on the Paris Climate Talks: Implications for Cities and Urban Growth
- Feb. 12, 2015 - Whose Food Is It Anyway? Digesting the Food Story
- Feb. 3, 2015 - Smart Technology for Climate-Smart Agriculture
- Dec. 3, 2014 - Sustainable Innovations in Food
- Nov. 5, 2014 - Women and Girls: Nourishing the Planet in the Face of Climate Change
- Sept. 26, 2014 - Weather Volatility and Agricultural Production
- Sept. 18, 2013 - Changing Tastes, Changing Farms
- Fall 2012 - Fracking
- Spring 2011 - Adaptation
- Summer 2010 - Energy Policy